Kapernikov is looking for data engineers. We are open for all skill levels, as long as you have the motivation and talent to learn fast.
- You extract and transform data from various sources and feed them into a target system. Where issues with the conversion come up, you implement cleansing or validation procedures. Based on the project, the tech stack will vary. We often work with a mix of the customer’s and our own preferred technologies.
- You want to do data engineering in a modern way. This means getting familiar with concepts like functional data engineering, DAGs, open source, big data technology, streaming approaches, etc.
- Where possible, the approach will also be DevOps oriented with a focus on ease of development, deployability and reusability. We apply an architecture based on modular containers for this. In many cases, the architecture will be deployed on a public cloud, in other cases on premise.
- Problems are rarely solved by technology alone. You manage your projects in an agile way, in tight collaboration with the customer. You listen, analyze requests and evaluate the quality of the actual data. You provide guidance to the customer on how data could be better or more relevant.
- We are looking for both juniors and seniors.
You bring us data engineering experience
- You have a master’s degree in informatics/engineering (or equivalent experience). Or you are a bachelor with a first working experience. Even better: you can convince us with your code on GitHub.
- You know your database stuff. SQL has few secrets for you: nulls, datatypes and indexes ring more than one bell. And you can surprise us with a lot more of that database-gobbledygook.
- You are familiar with work/dataflow engines, e.g. Airflow, Prefect, Dagster or Talend. You appreciate the advantages of code and versioning over more GUI oriented approaches. You have some prior experience with a programming language (e.g. Python, C#, Matlab or R).
- You have experience with container based development and deployment (like Docker, K8s, Openshift).
- A problem solving mindset.
- You know how to deal with engineers, business users and managers alike.
- Fluent communication in Dutch and in English. Knowledge of French is a plus.
We offer you an interesting job in a modern company
- A full-time job in a pleasant working environment where all of your talents are appreciated.
- We have a coworking space close to Brussels Midi station which is a wonderful, informal place to collaborate. However, we often work at the customer’s site, which could be anywhere in Belgium (albeit most often around Brussels).
- Challenging problems that require your innovative thinking. Cool projects where the software you write actually controls part of the world.
- The chance to get paid to do what you love. We offer a competitive salary and many fringe benefits.
- Education and training to perform your job well. We aim to get people up to date with modern technologies and provide time and budget to take courses or go to congresses.
- A lot of freedom to organize your work the way that suits you best.
- A vibrant atmosphere with room for new ideas, experimentation and cross-fertilization with other Kapernikov consultants. We are a friendly team to spar with and learn from.
- Kapernikov is a self-organized company with sociocracy as toolbox, meaning decisions are taken and implemented by everyone as equals. We are not the classic organisation with a strict hierarchy. Our employees come first.
We love to hear from you
Like what we do? And think we’re looking for you? Drop us a line and your CV at email@example.com and we’ll invite you for a talk, either in real life or online, depending on where you are.
We typically have two interviews (sometimes three, depending on how well the first interviewers select colleagues for the second talk). You’ll talk to various people within Kapernikov (at least a partner, a senior software engineer and, in case you’re still more junior, a junior software engineer) to cover your questions on all aspects of the job too.